So what have I been busy with? So much! January was actually a pretty crummy, stressful month. I don't want to dwell on it, but here were a few lowpoints from December and January.
- We finally had to replace the sewer line in our front yard. We had been avoiding it for awhile, limping it along with a good rotor-rooter once a year or so. Basically what had happened was tree roots had broken into the pipe leading from the house to the main line. The line backed up twice in a week, so we knew the problem had escalated. Sure enough, the pipe was actually beginning to break/collapse. So we faced the music and had it done. $4000 (financed) dollars later and we were left with a very muddy yard that looks like a giant gopher had dug across it and a house with plumbing we could actually use without worrying. Yay.
- Mom was sick sick sick for like 6 weeks in a row. We all had colds, then she and I both got a horrible cough that was REALLY terrible for her. After that came ANOTHER cold and THEN a severe ear infection with a ruptured ear drum. That last part entailed Adam and I taking the combined total of an entire work week off because she was so sick, there was no way should could watch the kids. After that, we came up with a back up plan for these sort of situations, since obviously we need to be at work whenever possible. Adam's dad is retired now, so he may be able to serve as a back up, so that combined with Adam and I driving separately and me going in to work very early so I could leave in time to pick up Tyler from school will work in the future. His dad watched both of the kids on MLK day, which they all enjoyed, and after that, mom was beginning to bounce back. Her ear is still healing and her hearing is coming back slowly, but it's progress. I have another cough, so I am hoping she doesn't catch it or anything else!
- I've had some disappointments at work lately. I've been trying to figure out the next steps in my career for awhile now. It's challenging, because the path I originally thought I would take hasn't worked out. They changed the preferred qualifications to include a preferred degree in a technical or engineering field. Obviously, I don't have that. It's not like that particular job was my DREAM job, but it was just about the only one I thought I'd be able to transition into (that would be a promotion, not a lateral move). I've applied for that job a total of 4 times now and not gotten the position. I'm at peace with it now, but it was tough and frustrating at the time. I also applied for another position, and I'm told I was definitely a top candidate, but I more or less took my name out of the running, because the amount of business travel required was up to 50%. It was a great opportunity, but with the kids still being so young, it just wasn't possible for me. It was my hope that by applying and interviewing for it, it might open doors down the road, so we'll see. My boss is being great about the whole thing too. He's contacting a lot of people on my behalf, so hopefully something will come of it.
- My sister had moved out, but unfortunately she lost her new job, so she moved back with us for awhile. She's got a good job now, so hopefully it's just a small setback
- We're still working on the house, but with Christmas and illnesses, we're a little behind (again, some more). The goal is looking more like early May to list. Fingers crossed!!
- Our dryer also broke, but thankfully it was just a belt and Adam was able to fix it fairly easily. What did we do before YouTube how-to videos?
Okay, enough for one night! I hope someone is still reading out there! I'm still reading blogs, but since I can't comment like I used to (my phone is terrible for commenting), I know it doesn't seem like I'm reading! But I'm still here! Take care, all!